The data storage service that CESGA provides is oriented to the storage and treatment of high performance information, large volumes of data, and high availability as well as access from any computer connected to the Internet.
Classification of the information in CESGA
Attending to these criteria, we have classified of the available information as well as computational servers and storage in 4 types:
- Type 1 or SCRATCH data is a very high performance (very low latency and maximum bandwidth) as it affects the performance of the computational systems of the Centre as well as the average capacity (according to the number of simultaneous jobs that must be supported) since the data are only stored while the execution of the computations last. This availability can be low (since the data are temporary) and, for this reason, it is not necessary to make backups.
- Type 2 or home directories contain critical data that may be analysed and modified at any moment, and that are critical since their availability depends on the functioning of the computational services of the Centre. Therefore they must give priority to accessibility (maximum) and an adequate balance between capacity (average, as a function of the number of users), and performance (average). Backups are made on a daily basis.
- Type 3 or massive data storage (MSS) is used to store databases and research results. Usually the content does not vary (they are usually the WORM type), and the access speed is usually not critical, although they do require a high bandwidth to access to the servers, as they can be where the results of experiments are stored. Backups can be made on demand given the fact that the content is only modified sporadically. Examples of this type of data are the results of the daily meteorological prediction or the databases used in genomics.
- Type 4 or backups (internal and external) to disk are copies of data that the users make of their own servers or personal computers in the storage systems of CESGA, in order to have a data backup. It is no longer necessary to do backups of this data (they themselves are “the” backup) and the availability of the service can be low. The service is offered through the network (internal or external) for which a high performance connection is not required (the bottle neck is located in the interconnection of the final user with the storage). The capacity can be low or average in accordance with the number of users of this service.
- Type 5 or SCRATCH PARALLEL is a very high performance (very low latency and maximum bandwidth), similar to Type 1 with the addition that the scratch data is shared by all of the cluster nodes and distributed among them which allows for an increase in both the access bandwidth to the files and the total capacity of the scratch above the capacity of the local disk. The availability can be very low due to the fact that it depends on many components that are not redundant. No backups are made of these data.
|NO||Low latency, maximum bandwidth||Average (20%)||No sharing|
|Daily||Average||Average (30%)||Between all the nodes of the system or cluster|
|On-demand||Network intranet or FC, to reach maximum sharing with high internal bandwidths||Maximum (90%)||High, internal to the Centre and sporadically external|
|Sin *backup||Network, intranet and internet, with half bandwidths||Drop (10%)||Maximum, includes internal and external systems|
|NO||Low latency, maximum bandwidth||High (50%)||No sharing|
Storage Services of the Supercomputing Center of Galicia
Description of the Service
The remote backup service provides the possibility to make security backups of users through the network to the backup system of the Centre, as well as to disk or tape, according to the needs such as the specification of the periodicity and types of backups.
Request for Service
This service may be requested by using the application form for storage service. Once the request form of application for the service is sent, we will get in contact in order to agree on the procedures and types of backups that are best adapted to the data requirements.
The cost of the service will be charged in accordance with the GB quantity of the backup to be made.
The acceptable use policies that all users of the service must fulfil are described at the following link, acceptable use policies.
Description of the service
The data storage service that CESGA provides is oriented to the storage and treatment of high performance information, large volumes of data of high availability, and access from any computer connected to the Internet.
To be able to use the storage service, it is necessary to have a user account in CESGA’s servers. If you do not have a user account, it is necessary to complete and send the signed form of user activity (also accessible from the section: https://altausuarios.cesga.es/
The following step consists of completing the application form for storage services (this requires a user account ), for which it will be necessary to determine the quantity of information that one wishes to store as well as the characteristics of this information. In order to orient the user of the service in this classification, we recommend that the user read the following section regarding the classification of the information and, in case of doubts, contact the Systems Department CESGA in the following way: contact form.
Once the application for service has been sent, CESGA will contact you with information about the characteristics of the storage system that will be put at your disposition and how to begin to use it from that moment.
The cost of the service will be based on the characteristics requested, for which the value will be determined in each particular case.
Policies of use
A description of the of acceptable use policies that must be complied with is avaiable at the following link acceptable use politics.