Foundation CESGA has the mission to contribute to the advancement of Science and Technical Knowledge, by means of research and application of high performance computing and communications, as well as other information technologies resources, in collaboration with other institutions, for the profit of society.
In general the purposes of the Foundation are all those that promote the research in and use of high performance computing, advanced communications and development of information and communications technologies, as an instrument for sustainable socioeconomic development, devoting special attention to the relations of cooperation between research centres, whether public or private, and the productive sector.
- Promote and participate in research and technological development projects.
- Provide computing capacity, communications and technical support to its users by means of the equipment available at the Foundation.
- Collaborate in the transfer of research results in the area of computing between public research centres and private companies.
- Boost and promote cooperation between institutions at the national and international level.
- Contribute to the development and strengthening of the competitive capacity of the Galician and CSIC research communities.
- Collaborate with institutions, companies and people in any matter related to the object of the Foundation, in the terms established in the corresponding contracts or cooperation agreements.
- Promote and collaborate in the organisation of courses, seminars and meetings related to innovation by means of computing and communications.
- Promote and disseminate those activities and results considered of interest for the Foundation.
- Collaborate with other supercomputing centres for an effective use of the technologies.
- Search for and obtain resources for the development of its activities.
- Tend to the technological needs of the entities and companies that so require it in the area of the supercomputing.
- Any other activity considered of interest for the accomplishement of mission of the Foundation.
The provision of services to the users and customers is fundamentaly oriented to provide any type of scientific and technical support required for the optimum exploitation of the systems of high performance computing, data storage, and communications as well as for the analysis and presentation of results. The services offered are listed below.
- High Performance Computing for scientific uses, technicians, and engineers
- User data storage
- Engineering of advanced communications networks
- Support for the transfer of results to industry
- Support in the design and development of I+D+i projects
- Support for the exploitation of collaboration tools and on-line learning resources
Support for the optimum utilisation of Geographic Information Systems
CESGA conducts its own research projects in collaboration with university and industry researchers. The research projects are used to study the following subjects related to Computational Science.
High Performance Computing technologies (HPC): New mathematical algorithms, parallelisation, Cloud computing for HPC, Big Data and technological scientific Visualization.
Computing solutions for several strategic areas of science and technology with great impact in the region, such as:
- Nanotechnology, New Materials, and Industrial Processes
- Life and Health Sciences. Development of new solutions for Health that demand high performance computing such as new models for radiotherapy or the processing of medical images to generate useful information for clinical diagnosis
- Ocean Sciences. Operational solutions for the modeling, simulation, and forecast of physical parameters of the Spanish and Galician coast in collaboration with other institutions. Specific design of portals for the Oceanographic community and utilisation of GIS and other data servers in order to share oceanographic information
- Use of HPC and Big Data in SMEs.In this way, CESGA and its users develop activity researcher in other areas, such as: GIS, High Performance Communications Networks and e-Learning.
In this way, CESGA and its users develop activity researcher in other areas, such as: GIS, High Performance Communications Networks and e-Learning.
The users of the infrastructures and services of the CESGA include researchers, developers, technicians, and innovators in public and private institutions.
- Galician Universities
- Regional Research Centres
- The National Scientific Research Council (CSIC)
- Other public or private organisations all over the world, including:
– R&D departments of of industries and companies,
– technological and research centres oriented to industry,
– other Universities all over the world, and
– non-profit R&D organisations.
The researchers that use CESGA have an extensive record of scientific production with a remarkable number of publications of excellent scientific quality, index of citation, and impact.
High Performance Computing Systems use parallel processing to execute advanced applications in an efficient, reliable, and fast manner. Our aim is to reduce the time-to-solution which means to diminish the execution time as well as the development time of an appplication in a particular system.
High Performance Computing Systems use many computing resources during long periods of time in order to complete a computational task.
GRID Computing Systems contribute to distributed computing European and intercontinental platforms, such as, EGI or EELA.
Cloud Computing Systems offer virtualisation software and platforms to users.
The Science and Technology Network of Galicia (RECETGA) provides advanced communications services to the academic and scientific communities in Galicia (close of 90,000 users). RECETGA offers access to the Spanish Network of e-Science (RedIRIS), to the I+D+i community in Galicia and, through this, to the European research network, GEANT.
In addition, CESGA manages infrastructures for massive data storage, repositories of scientific and technical data, geographic information systems, collaboration tools, and e-Learning platforms.
CESGA has housed FinisTerrae is a high performance computing server that is very well adapted and designed to reduce the “time-to-solution” to the minimum in order to satisfy the current scientific and industrial demands of users.
FinisTerrae I occupied position 100 of the World Top 500 list when it was put into production.
Since the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation recognised CESGA as a Unique Scientific Technological Infrastructure in 2009, FinisTerrae has been available to researchers and innovators of the entire European Research Area.
Regarding the constant improvement of the quality of services, the Centre management system is in accord with the ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 50001:2011 of energy efficiency.
In 2015, the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO) integrated HPC Singulares the three centers in the Spanish Supercomputing Network (RES). For this reason, CESGA belong to ICTS-RES.
CESGA was created in May of 1993.
Foundation CESGA is a non-profit organisation at the service of scientific research. The Regional Government of Galicia and the Spanish National Scientific Research Council (CSIC) participate as the only members of the Board of Trustees.
The infrastructures of CESGA have been partially funded by the European Commission through the European Fund for Regional Development (FEDER) and by the Government of Spain through the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO) as well as by the Regional Government of Galicia and CSIC.