Period: 2019-05-01 – 2021-12-31 (32 months).
Funded by: Comisión Europea
PRACE, the Partnership for Advanced Computing is the permanent pan-European High Performance Computing service providing world-class systems for world-class science. Systems at the highest performance level (Tier-0) are deployed by Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Switzerland, providing researchers with more than 17 billion core hours of compute time. HPC experts from 25 member states enabled users from academia and industry to as certain leadership and remain competitive in the Global Race. Currently PRACE is finalizing the transition to PRACE 2, the successor of the initial five year period.
The objectives of PRACE-6IP are to build on and seamlessly continue the successes of PRACE and start new innovative and collaborative activities proposed by the consortium. These include:
- Assisting the development of PRACE 2
- Strengthening the internationally recognised PRACE brand
- Continuing and extend advanced training which so far providedmore than 36 400 person·training days
- Preparing strategies and best practices towards Exascale computing, work onforward-looking SW solutions
- Coordinating and enhancing the operation of the multi-tier HPC systems and services
- Supporting users to exploit massively parallel systems and novel architectures
A high level Service Catalogue is provided. The proven project structure will be used to achieve each of the objectives in 7 dedicated work packages. The activities are designed to increase Europe’s research and innovation potential especially through: seamless and efficient Tier-0 servicesand a pan-European HPC ecosystem including national capabilities; promoting take-up by industry and new communitiesand special offers to SMEs; assistance to PRACE 2 development; proposing strategies for deployment of leadership systems; collaborating with the ETP4HPC, CoEs and other European and international organisations on future architectures, training, application support and policies. This will be monitored through a set of KPIs.