e-IMRT – SISTEMAS AVANZADOS DE PLANIFICACIÓN PARA RADIOTERAPIA MEDIANTE ENTORNOS DE COMPUTACIÓN
Period: 2005-07-01 – 2008-07-01 (36 months).
Funded by: D.X. de ID
Is a project which raises new systems of planning for the treatment of the cancer by means of the radiotherapy using distributed calculation and WEB interfaces. The results of the project will allow the following improvements with regard to the conventional systems:
- Algorithms of optimization of the treatment that allow to reach a better deposition of dose for complex treatments, specially IMRT (radiotherapy with modulation of intensity). These technologies of optimization are not accessible usually for the conventional planning, due to the usage of manual technologies for parameter selection or the high cost of calculation of the automatic algorithms. In general, the clinical advantages of this tool are a minor dose on healthy organs that surround to the tumor and the most uniform deposition of dose into the tumour volume.
- To reach a strategic position with a view to the new generation of planners who will include the method of Montecarlo for the calculation of dose. By means of this method of calculation a major precision will be obtained in the regions with strong variations of density.
- Fast computacional result due to the usage of massive distributed computation.
- Creation of a treatment database, for the health professionals as well as for the career education and teaching.
- Concealment of complexity of hardware, management and maintenance to the final user. Access by means of tools web.
- Successive software and methods updates without intervention of the final user.
 Pena J, González-Castaño D M, Gómez F, Sánchez-Doblado F y Hartmann. “Automatic determination of primary electron beam parameters in Monte Carlo simulation”. Med. Phys. 34 1076-1084
 Pena, J. et. al. ·eIMRT: a web platform for the verification and optimization of radiation treatment plans”, JACMP. Vol. 10, Num. 3, 205-220. 2009.
 A. Gomez et al. “Remote Radiotherapy Planning: The eIMRT Project” Healthgrid 2006. Valencia. (Poster)
 “IMRT Planning and Verification on EGEE”. EGEE’06. Ginebra. (Poster)
 J. Pena et al. “Characterization of Siemens PRIMUS linacs in Monte Carlo simulations for advanced dosimetric studies” . World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering. Seoul (Korea). 2006.
 J. Pena et al. “The eIMRT project: a web-based tool for Monte Carlo verification of treatment plans“. ESTRO 25. Leipzig (Germany). 2006.
J. Pena et al. “Commissioning of photon beams in Monte Carlo simulations ensuring full machine reproducibility”. First European Workshop on MCTP, Gante (Bélgica). 2006.
 Andrés Gómez et al. “Monte Carlo Verification of IMRT treatment plans on Grid” Proceedings of HealthGrid 2007, Nicolas Jacq and others, eds., IOS Press, 2007 (Poster)
 J.C. Mouriño et al. “The eIMRT Project: Planning and Verification of IMRT treatments on Grid” , in Proceedings of Ibergrid’07, Javier García Tobío and others, eds., 2007
 J.C. Mouriño et al.“El Proyecto eIMRT: Planificación y Verificación de tratamientos IMRT en Grid”. XVI Congreso Nacional de Física Médica, Granada 2007.